OSSEC HIDS 1.6 Released
- Support for Microsoft Vista/Server 2008
- Performance and stability enhancements on Windows
- Active response on windows
- Upgraded rootkit checking
- Added support for more log formats
For a full list of upgrades and enhancements check out the change log. OSSEC can be downloaded from http://www.ossec.net/main/downloads.
This is the first major release since Third Brigade acquired OSSEC and it looks to be a pretty major upgrade. Third Brigade now provides commercial support for OSSEC, but the project remains free and open source software (FOSS).
OSSEC is an open source host based intrusion detection system. It is completely cross platform and works on Unix, Linux, Windows and Mac OS. For more information about OSSEC refer to my earlier blog post about it.